View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

Jessarina HB User
Recent MRI's,disturbing symptoms possible chiari?

Hello to all: I was a former lurker here prior to my ACDF C5-6 three years ago this month. Let me apologize for the length of the post, here, and typos; I'm going to hit 'send' to get a dialog started - I feel that's more important that presentation today! Thanks in advance!
I will preface that I am 48 year old female, avid outdoors-woman, bow-hunter, farmer, gardener, small business owner (custom floral design and custom large scale commercial installations). I am unable to do most of these things, am suffering at work and am likely to have to shut down my business but have little back-up resources and apparantly do not have enough soicl security points to be eligible for disability, should I need to apply. I would never have mentioned disability out loud before, but it is on my mind and I am scared...
Have been trying to read upon issues before posting here as I hate to ask for repeat information but that is proving difficult. I have Lumbar MRI report (diagnosed hernited L5S1 in 2000, now there is much progression, untreated) and also cervical MRI report (progression, as above), and BOTH left and right shoulder MRI's done; Ortho confirmed rotator cuff tears in both. I assume from compensating.
So, I do have the lightning painful shoulder popping (mornings are worse), painful skin-the-cat (love it when boyfriend is here to assist), painful driving, etc but the worst thing of all is I get uncontrollably sleepy/light headed when working on a computer and dizzy/blurred vision when texting (head bent down must be irritating something but I am at a loss) and everyone, including ortho doc I've seen most recently, look at me like I'm crazy. I have been falling asleep at my desk at work frequently (albeit later in the day and easily at night). It's disturbing to wake up at thee in the morning sitting upright in a 100 year old building - all the lights blazing - what do the neighbors think???
I slept part of last night at my desk at work, then went to the restroom thinking I would then try to drive home but woke up at dawn on the toilet - my upper torso had fallen forward and I had been asleep, mouth open, drooling! Scary and painful; I barely got up and laid right down on the bare wood floor of my office, went back to sleep and woke up at 7:30. I am exhausted, irritable, my skin hurts, may face and lips, right side are numb (not a new sensation but is almost 24/7 now).
Quick synopsis is my involved right arm experienced brief relief post the 2009 ACDF but I've been in pain one place or the other ever since; pain immediately in neck radiating left and right at same time or alternating, spasms began in right arm within the first year, left arm numb and painful within 1.5 years; everything progressing and scary:drop items frequently, noticeable reduction fine motor skills (trouble picking up penny for example), and I believe my vision, short term memory and, I hate to type this, cognitive ability is being affected - no confirmation from a medical professional on these last.
Can anyone comment on the possible effects of spinal compression or impingement ABOVE affected levels (I have some cord compression/stenosis, 'mild' at 2 or three levels now, new, I believe I never had central or para-central involvement before - and then the possibly symptoms of Chiari or 'Ectopia'...is that what I am experiencing?