View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User
Does OSA Really Cause Nightmares?

Hi. I've been struggling with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) for years. I just ignored it for a long time & am trying to conquer it again. My new full-face mask is suprisingly comfortable, but I get up so often during sleep that I actually forget to put it back on, but I keep working on it.

Two nights ago, I had the worst, most vivid nightmare that someone was trying to smother me to death with my own cpap mask. It was so awful that last night I just chickened out on using my cpap equipment. I never have nightmares.

I heard of a phenonemon called "REM rebound" where a person with OSA goes too long without entering the dreaming state, so when they start getting back to dreaming again, nightmares can be part of the package, at first anyway.

Has anyone had experience with nightmares being part of trying to return to normal sleep? If so, how long did it continue? I'll have to put my mask back on tonight regardless, but I'd appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks!