View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Rant: Useless paid help

Daryl, I don't have the details about your family so I can just say something that I can think of here:

It is very nice that you got a big family to help out. First of all, legally, there have to be POAs for finances and health proxy for Dad. One person or two in the family as the power of attorney for Dad is enough. It is teamwork in the family. Usually you can divide the work among the family. It depends on their jobs. If some are nurses, they can help more. If some are teenagers, they can housesit Dad... They need to take turns. Also Dad has to stay in one place so he cannot move around for you guys.

I know a caregiver whose family has many nurses and kids. The Dad is invalid, so the grandkids take turns to housesit Dad/Grandpa. The wife is a nurse so she can take care of her husband (the dad).

Usually there is a primary family caregiver and this person will have to organize the caregiving and assign the work for family members provided that the member is willing to do that.
For sure everyone needs to be nearby. If all members are in the local area, they can take turns to help Dad.
Also it does not hurt to hire a part-time caregiver or certified nursing aid to help Dad to bathe him and etc. If he has Medicare, home health care can do come to bathe him once a week or so.

Good luck,
Nina