View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Chronic, systemic inflammation

I'm sorry that you are dealing with so many issues. Systemic inflammation as measured by the blood tests i mention is a symptom, not the disease condition itself. It can be caused by autoimmune diseases, heart disease, a cold, an allergy, etc. so treating the conditions treats the inflammation. Now if you are talking about the inflammation involved in, say, tendonitis, that is a different kind of inflammation. That kind of inflammation differentiates IBS from IBD, as you probably already know. One of the first things that a rheumatologist will check is your ANA status, titre and pattern. They usually will also do an RF test, along with testing of various other antibodies, to see if your labs can point to an autoimmune problem (also symptoms are are part of the diagnostic criteria) or if your problem is something else. Of the things that you mentioned above, your psoriasis is an autoimmune disease and can be inflammatory as well as develop into psoriatic arthritis. I do have to agree with you that a high dose of prednisone does indeed make me feel great, but that really is a side effect of the drug, rather than the healing it is causing, LOL, and long term steroid use, even at low doses can have major side effects, so that is why I'm on the DMARDS and Chemo drugs among others. The bottom line is that in order to treat systemic inflammation as measured by blood tests, you have to treat whatever is causing it, on a condition by condition basis. It wouldn't help a heart disease patient to be on a DMARD, nor would it help a lupus patient who had no Raynaud's and no heart problems to be on a beta blocker. But the appropriate treatment of both conditions will lower systemic inflammation. But if I'm in a flare, for example, I am prone to getting tendonitis in my wrists and ankles, which is an inflammatory condition and is obviously systemic. So in the end, Dr's check both labs and symptoms in order to diagnose and treat inflammatory conditions. I hope this helps further.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
Rich775 (06-28-2012)