View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Family is falling apart

I necessary yes! Dad is where he needs to be and obviously confused. Mom is home with part time care and a few check ins. It is amazing how much mischief they can get into on their own for a few hours. Perhaps remind sister that you are Mom's POA, and she needs full time care as well. I wonder how your sister would feel if something bad happened to Mom?

A good test of "can Mom be there alone" is to set off the smoke detector. See if she knows what to do. Will she get out and call 911? If she wanders around the house trying to figure out what is going on or doesn't attempt to call 911 (you can stop her before she does)... then she is not capable of being by herself. Twice this actually happened to Mom and Dad. Both times is was something they had done incorrectly that caused the problem in the first place. Then instead of leaving the house they wandered around trying to find the source of the fire while a neighbor called 911 because of the smoke. Both situations turned out to be minor but it sure did wake me up!

Good luck... stand up for Mom and keep working on getting her where she needs to be.

Love, deb