View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

Houston47 HB User
So confused about my thyroid... help please!

Hi All, I'm pretty new to this forum and I'm hoping the veterans can help me figure out what's going on with me. I'm a 47 yr old woman. I've had hypo symptoms for years (except for being very hot and not cold) and in January of 2012 had my PA run some tests. I asked her to test free T3 and T4, but I guess she didn't. I'm not sure if the results showed anything. Results were:

TSH - 3.21 (0.450-4.500)
T4 - 6.9 (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake - 31% (24-39%)
Free Thyroxine Index - 2.1 (1.2-4.9)

Based on those results, she put me on 75mg of Levothyroxine. I took it for about 2 weeks and felt nothing. I asked her to switch me to Armour and took 30mcg for one day and felt horrible. Stopped all drugs for a week then went back to the 75mg of Levo. Over a month, I upped it to 150 mg. Started feeling a little better. Decided to add 30 mcg of Armour to that and started feeling much better. I have more energy and my mind is clearer.

Here's the problem...I went in for my 6 month bloodwork and now everything has changed on the lab front, yet I still feel okay. My new results are:

TSH - 0.020 (0.450-4.500)
Free T4 - 2.19 (.082-1.77)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum - 3.4 (2.0-4.4)

So am I now hyperthyroid? I was told to stay on the same meds unless I have a thyroid storm and if that happens to stop.

I am really confused about what to do. Should I stay on the same dosage or lower it now. I'm uninsured so I have to work with my PA and she's just not that savvy on thyroid problems and tends to be a 'by the book' kind of lady who has trouble with anyone that doesn't fit into 'normal' parameters. God knows, nothing about me is normal!! lol

Any advice or help would be appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Lisa in Houston

p.s. When I went in for the latest tests, I was just getting over an attack of diverticulitis and on heavy duty antibiotics and other drugs. Not sure if that would affect my test scores or not.