View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

sdparker HB User
Re: Papillary Carcinoma

I had FNA biopsy done a about 2 years ago, and I can tell you that was WAY worse than the thyroid surgery. My FNA came back inconclusive and I had the right side of my thyroid taken out. It ended up coming back with papillary carcinoma positive for malignancy. So I had the left taken out as well. The surgeries went very well and I was never much more than "sore." I think the difference is picking the right doctor. I did not go to a general surgeon, I went to and ENT dr. who also specializes in facial plastics so it was minimally invasive. I wasn't so concerned about scarring, that wasn't the reason I chose that particular Doctor, he was actually recommended by several people. After all is said and done, the worst thing about dealing with thyroid cancer is getting your meds straightened out. The RAI treatment is a pain in the rear, especially since you have to be secluded from everyone for about a week. Which is particularly difficult with small children. Hearing that you have cancer is like a slap in the face and it is probably everyones' worst nightmare however, like my doctor told me, if you abosultly HAD to pick a kind of cancer to have, this would be the one to pick! It is 100% cureable and you will be just fine! Just remember treatment course is a little different for eveyone so don't get to caught up in everyone else's experiences. Just listen to your body and pay attention to how you FEEL. Good Luck! And if you have any questions I will be happy to share whatever I know with you!