View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

Karli HB User
Re: sudden, sharp chest pains on left side

Hello, everyone.

I'm also experiencing the exact same thing. I am 19 years old, and I first started having these pains just last year.
It's very sudden, and without warning. I can be doing anything, and suddenly, that stabbing pain in my chest, right under the left breast. However, I've felt it in other places, though always on the left side of my chest. Sometimes (though it's more uncommon), it feels like it's right underneath the very bottom of my rib cage, or more above my breast. Again, just sudden pain. I've had it when I'm just walking, or sitting, and once even while I was asleep.
It causes me to gasp a bit, and it's just suddenly hard to breathe because it hurts. Exhaling and inhaling too much hurts, but it only lasts for a brief moment, and then it's gone as though nothing ever happened. There was only one occasion where this pain was there for three days, though very dim compared to the usual intensity.

I have seen two different doctors about this, and I've had four chest x-rays, and two ECG's and bloodwork once, but all of the results come back normal. It's really scary, and I am so very glad to see that I'm not alone.
However, the doctors don't appear to be concerned at all, seeing as how the doctor in Saskatoon was supposed to call me months ago to schedule an Echocardiogram, but he hasn't done so yet. Judging from everyone else's stories, though, it will likely come back as normal.

It's very frustrating to be experiencing this kind of pain so close to the heart, and not have any answers. What is causing it? Is it dangerous? Why am I having these pains? It seems that no one has an answer. My sister suggested that it might be asthma? I did a little research on it, and I'm not really too sure, but the pain seems to be far too short for it to be caused by asthma. What do you all think?

Again, I'm happy to see that I'm not alone with this scary experience. Thank you all for sharing your stories! I hope that we'll find an answer to all of our questions soon!

Last edited by Karli; 07-04-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Added detail