View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
KayakGuy HB User
Re: HRT considerations

Second to what Boscot says. Find a good doctor, someone who knows what he's doing. Most of us have wasted months or years looking for a good doc. Get a complete panel to rule out other options.

That said, clomid works for some without immediately shutting down natural production. I was on it for about 4 years, with gradually decreasing results.

About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with low T (220-250 on a 260-1000 test range) by my family doc after he put me on Crestor for high cholesterol. I had brain fog, memory issues, difficulty pronouncing words, fatigue, mood swings, night sweats, you name it. First thing was to quit Crestor which made total T rise to the upper 300s - quite an improvement. All of the other symptoms improved, too. My cardiologist no longer argues with me, but he really wants me on a statin.

Next I saw a urologist who ran all kinds of tests including the clomid test, which showed a good rise (800s). He wouldn't use clomid as therapy because it was unproven, so he started me Androgel 5 mg/day. Androgel got me up into the low 500s initially but in 3 months I was down to the low 300s and the doc wanted to double the dose. I didn't like the Androgel application process and it was really expensive.

Changed docs. Dr. Shippen put me on clomid which got me up into the 700s. Over 4 years that dropped into the 400s, so he recently prescribed T cyp injections. First set of labs on T cyp showed total T in the 800s. I donated blood recently and total cholesterol was 205, lowest it's been in years. Wait til the cardiologist sees those numbers. I also just started hcg injections to keep the testes active.

For me this board was a huge help - providing information and encouragement. Keep asking questions and reading posts. Hayfarmer posted a lot of good information back in 2006-2007 when I was first looking that was a big help for me. Good luck.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2015 at 10:59 AM.