View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
(female)

optimist82 HB Useroptimist82 HB User
Re: My Thyroidectomy

Hi!
I am SO HAPPY to hear things went well overall! It's great that your parathyroids were not damaged!

I'm sorry to hear you vomited - that must have made the soreness a lot worse But i agree, the scar looked much worse than how I actually felt the first few days. Do you have steri strips on top of your scar?

I definitely took the RX pain medicine for at least 2.5 days...I definitely needed them!

I found that for the first 5 days that it did become easier to eat. But it wasn't until the steri strips fell off and I began massaging my scar on day 6 or 7 that the tenderness started to go away.

One tip I have is for you to do some exercises to keep your neck from being too tense. I started to get bad headaches and stiff shoulders and once I started doing the exercises it helped tremendously. I would look to my right, then rotate my head down and to the left at least 10x every few hours. It's only been about a week and a 1/2 and my scar is looking better and better every day! I was wearing a light summer scarf at work this week but I don't think I'll have to actually wear it next week!

How is your appetite? Have you been able to eat?