View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
(female)

Lunara HB User
Unhappy Is it Sjogren's? 25 yo female...

Hello everyone,

I have not been evaluated for Sjogren's yet, but I am thinking about being tested. Ever since I can remember, I've had the craziest dry skin everywhere on my body. I'm talking chronic flaky skin, especially on my arms and legs. More recently (in the last 3-4 years) my eyes have become very dry. At first I thought it was allergies, but now I'm thinking it might be Sjogren's. My mouth is also semi-dry, and sometimes when I swallow food I feel like it gets 'stuck' halfway down my esophagus and I need to take a drink of water to get it down. I don't really have coughing problems, but I do have a very dry nose which has been giving me daily nosebleeds (not a rush of blood, just when I blow my nose blood-crusts come out and it bleeds just a little--both nostrils). I don't know if this is related, but sometimes I do also get night sweats. My question is, can I have these kinds of symptoms this early? I'm 25, and I've heard that most people are diagnosed when older, but my dry skin has been around since I was a child. Also, I do not have joint or muscle pain...just extreme fatigue that I have always attributed to my chronic depression. I have felt 'sick' for years now, but the Dr.'s have just sent me away with antidepressants or brushed my symptoms off as me just being a hypochondriac. What kind of testing do I have to do to know if this may be Sjogren's? Is it a simple blood test? What does the 'lip biopsy' entail? I'm scared, and the more I think of the symptoms the more I think this may be it...my grandmother has had arthritis, coughing spells, and a number of the other symptoms, but I don't know if this disease is genetic or not. Please, any information would be great. Thank you!