View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
(male)

jobriski HB User
High PSA after Prostatectomy? Need some input.

Reporting for my Dad:

I recently(3/21/12) had a prostatectomy via the daVinci method and all went well.
My recovery was good, all post op biopsies were good with cancer contained in prostate and lymph nodes were clear.

Last week I returned for the 3 mo checkup. PSA was taken prior to visit and the results were unbelievable to the doctor. The PSA was 6.5, 7.7(retaken) and 7.7(retaken).

My doctor, who has performed thousands of prostate surgeries, has no explanation other than to say that prostate cancer does not perform in this manner. He has ordered additional CT scans of bones and pelvic area which are negative and are identical to those taken pre-op. There is nothing unusual in these tests.

I have met with an oncolgist who is recommending Hormone Therapy.

I am reluctant to begin this therapy based upon information which is not conclusive or understood and without precedence since the cure could have more side effects than the cancer(if it is cancer) and additionally based upon the fact that the PSA test results could be false readings. My blood is being checked for antibodies which could interfer with the PSA test.

Has anybody encountered very high post-op PSA readings and what was the treatment?