Thread: hey all.
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

Hushie HB UserHushie HB UserHushie HB User
Re: hey all.

Hi, Jason. I'm so sorry to hear of your RSD spread. Mine started in my foot post-surgery about a year ago and spread to my knee. Unfortunately, it's "late stage" RSD, so walking is permanently questionable. In any case, enough about me. I can appreciate your hesitation to use methadone, given its connotations. I felt the same way when my doc prescribed Fentanyl 50mcg patches, which are 100x stronger than morphine. I'm not fond of taking aspirin, let alone hard core opiates that I, too, equate with addicts. And I've read the horror stories of the long withdrawal process from patients as they wean off them. I refused to use them for the first eight months, and lived with excruciating breakthrough pain. Finally, my doc told me that I could cut the patches to reduce the dose as much as I wanted to. I tried (and still use) 1/4 patch (1/3 if absolutely necessary and only for a short time). Surprisingly, I experienced no side effects. Just a little more lethargic than usual, but nothing too noticeable and my mind is still sharp. Helps take the edge off the breakthrough pain. I also try to use them 3 days on/3 days off or as long as I can deal with breakthrough pain. I know methadone is different, but I hope this helps with your feelings about taking a drug that many of us relate to addicts. Best of luck to you, Jason!