View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
Unprofessional or just uncaring?

Hi all. I haven't been here in a while so I thought I'd drop in and ask a quick question that has been eating at me.

I finally found a decent PM clinic with a great (very conservative, but great in the eyes of GPs and ERs) reputation. I'm sure most of you know what I mean, so I won't explain. heh

Anyway, 12 weeks after my spinal laminectomy I was still having pain so the surgeon sent me off to this place. The doctor there prescribed me some PT and 6 Hydrocodone a day, 2 every 8 hrs.

It's been about 8 months now since the surgery. The pain from the compressed nerve and ruptured disc that was causing it has ceased (ever since the surgery, which worked 100%) but I am still having the same old chronic pain that I have had since my original injury and the first surgery I had.
I was happy that they were treating the chronic pain with the Hydrocodone every 8 hours, even though it was barely adequate.... still better than nothing, right?

So about 2 weeks ago the nurse calls and reschedules my appt and said that the doctor is concerned about the 'massive amount' of medication that I am still taking and wants to cut it in half, down to 1 pill every 8 hours. She said she'd call in the refill with enough to get me by until the next appt at 3 pills per day.
Yeah, they cut my medication in half, over the phone, without an actual sit down appointment to discuss it and at least see how things were going.

I went in today and asked the doc about it and told him I wasn't really happy with the way it was handled and he just completely blew me off. Didn't even look up from his scribbling. I said it again and he just smiled.

I'd drop this practice like a bad habit if I could but they're as close as I can get at an hour and a half away and I sure as heck don't want to start the whole process over again with a new doctor that is even further away.

Suggestions? Any magic words that will get this guy to listen to me?

I also asked him about a LA med, even once a day at a lower dose (as to avoid that 'massive' dose he had me on) and he said it was only for people at the end of the line who are in extreme, debilitating pain...

So, so sick of these people. lol