View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Unprofessional or just uncaring?

Unfortunately the laws/regulations are changing with regards to long term usage of short acting medication. So, many Drs. are having to either move their patients over to an ER/LA medicine...or start weaning down..

And if you truly said to your Dr. that you "aren't happy about how they handled things"....It may have come across the wrong way that you were scolding him or his office...

I would have just focused on how you two can work as a team to keep your pain level down to a manageable level..

Keep in mind that an opiate is just one small way to help lower our pain levels...We must use every single available modality to help deal with the pain..

Are you on a muscle relaxer as well to take when needed? This is very helpful to supplement to an opiate..

As well as exercise, PT, aqua therapy, massage, acupuncture, injections, TENS unit, cognitive behavioral therapy, counseling, steroids, eating healthy, maintaining a healthy weight.

And I'm not quite sure I understood...but is this Dr. an actual Pain Management Dr.? What is his background?

Again...I would speak with him at your next appt. about trying to find the best comprehensive plan to handle your pain...And even then...it's about using everything I mentioned to get to a level 5 or so on the pain scale...That is really the goal with chronic pain.

I'm just afraid that from what you wrote...that you may have come across to them that your only concern is the narcotic medication and that is the "only" thing you take/do for your pain....

As I mentioned....the Drs. are getting a lot of heat from the new regulations to not keep their patients on short acting medication for long periods of time.

I would think he would be open to a long acting medicine if you approach it as just "one" piece of the puzzle and that you want to make sure you are using every modality...

Just my thoughts/suggestions....Your only choices are really trying to work hard with this Dr. or try to see someone else...

I do wish you luck and keep us posted..

*Just wanted to say I really do empathize as it took me a year to find the PM Dr. and Neurosurgeon that I have now...It is not easy

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.