View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: PT after brostrom procedure?

Hi! Ok so first, yes you really do need PT!! Take it from me-I've had 2 Brostroms on my left ankle (and other stuff in addition to the 2nd Brostrom). After thr first one, I had NO PT and it was awful!! Much longer recovery, hard, had to figure it out on my own and I never regained Proprioception and I believe that is part of what lead to the 2nd surgery. I had Brostrom #2 along with peroneal tendon repair, retinaculum repair and osteotomy for fibular groove deepening on 2/22/12 and I had nearly 3 months of PT 2-3x/wk and it was a MUCH better, easier, and quicker recovery! Night and day! So definitely work it out!! Do it early in the morning before you go in maybe? There are some clinics that open early like at 7 or 7:30 for that reason. Yes, you should go into a boot after you get your cast off. I did both times as you aren't able to walk the day your cast comes off and you're told you can bear wait. It takes a while to transition. As far as needing the surgery on your right and when to do it, I'd wait a year to be sure you've given your left ankle enough time to solidly heel and you've gotten your calf muscle completely back so it can do a good job of supporting you when youre NWB for the right ankle. It takes a full year for you to fully regain the full muscle mass. Hope that helps and definitely nail down your doctor and have him tell you everything!!