View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

pclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB Userpclare HB User
Re: surgery again for osteochandral defect!

My OCD began on the medial side of my right foot, so the surgeon had to cut the medial malleolus in order to get to it, and then he transplanted two plugs from my right knee. That was done in December '04, so I got seven reasonably pain-free years out of it.

I could tell the trouble was starting again for a while, and I finally went back in for another "tune-up" (as I call it) when I couldn't take the pain of walking any more -- even with a boot on. It turns out the bone grafts had healed beautifully, but the cartilage still fell apart and the area was a mess.

He couldn't be sure if it was exactly the same area or not -- whether the transplanted cartilage fell apart or if it was the area adjacent to it, but the damage did seem to have shifted more toward the center of the talus, whereas it used to be right by the medial malleolus.

This time we tried microfracturing again (my third or fourth time -- I've lost count), and I'm starting my third week of non-weight-bearing frustration. I shouldn't complain, though, because at least the microfx post-op is pain-free, just tiresome for a normally very active person.

As for boots: I have about six different boots, and the only one that ever provided me with any relief is the Aircast XP Pneumatic Walker. I highly recommend that one, even if you have to buy it yourself (if you can afford to). I see them online for about $125. I've had my injury for over ten years, and that boot is the one I always go back to. That and the knee scooter I bought have made this far more bearable.

I hope you have better success with your ankle than I've had with mine!