View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Subacute thyroiditis

I'm posting this separately for clarity.

Please know that some of the thyroid blood tests your doctors ran are outdated and basically useless. (T3 uptake, Total T4, Total T3)

Only to save you some typing, the most accurate tests are the FT4 and FT3 (TSH can be helpful).

If you don't have FT4 and/or FT3 results to post for a given lab date, we can look at your Total T4 or Total T3 results - those are nowhere near as accurate since they not only measure the T4 and T3 thyroid hormone levels of active hormone but, also hormone that is bound to proteins and not usable by the body.

However, seeing those levels in conjunction with your TSH level *and* your meds/doses will tell us just what your doctor is looking at when trying to evaluate your thyroid status.

I'm sorry to tell you but, the misdiagnoses you had previously doesn't mean your endo knows what he/she is doing, either. Yes, endos *should* know how to treat thyroid disease but, many seemed to have been sleeping during thyroid class and even more don't seem like they've kept up with things.

That TSI result alone told me a LOT.....it should have told the doctor something as well but, it doesn't sound like it did.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.