View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

moonlitdreams HB User
Re: Am I crazy or is this emotional abuse?

I'm so sorry to hear about all that you have suffered... your family, and especially your mother, should be a safe place where you feel comforted and protected. What your mother is doing sounds very sick. In fact, it sounds like she's projecting her own fears about HERSELF onto you. I wonder if she might be narcissistic...

I'm not saying she is or she isn't, but it's a place to start. I think that should start helping you see more clearly and understanding that the problem is not you. It's her.

You should also try to reach out to others who are in a position to help you... If you are in college, I would definitely recommend you go to the mental health center and talk to a counselor about all this. If you are working and have insurance, try to find a therapist nearby. If you don't have insurance, don't despair; many therapists work on a sliding scale and will try to accommodate you.

I'm in a relationship with someone who has been emotionally, verbally, and (in the past) sexually abusive. I understand completely what you mean that feeling when you start to question yourself and wonder if the other person is right, and you are the wrong one. Your reality begins to turn upside down and you stop hearing your inner voice. My fiance has not gone to the level of diagnosing me, but he has often said that I have serious mental issues. More recently he gave me the choice of either I'm a deceitful, lying, manipulative person, OR I have mental issues. I know for sure I'm not the first... so I got stuck with the latter option. I'm struggling with everything now in the relationship, and have appreciated the advice from other members on the board. It's hard hearing what they have to say, because it stands in stark contrast from what he has always said. I always see everything he says as gospel truth, so it's very confusing, and I find myself flipping back and forth, from one side to the other. I've decided that I need to reach out to others who are trustworthy so they can help me hold on to reality during this process. I've also started seeing a therapist, and I really think this is the best approach. When you are drowning and caught up in the midst of a situation like this, and have a hard time knowing who is right - the other person or you - it's best to get professional help.

Best of luck to you, and stay strong

Last edited by Administrator; 10-14-2012 at 10:59 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to moonlitdreams For This Useful Post:
um Monty (08-17-2012)