View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

Squishee HB User
Xanax or Klonopin

I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. I am a cancer survivor and I am just now dealing with my fears and they are coming out with severe panic attacks. I was given xanax at the hospital and I have been using it as needed although I try to ride out the panic if it isnt so bad. My regular doctor prescribed klonopin 3x a day. But i havent started it. Im a little afraid because if I start taking the klonopin 3x a day (I was told it takes longer to take effect and also longer to leave your system) and I have a panic attack I cant pop a xanax so I have to just deal with it. I was prescribed .5 of the klonopin generic. When I was first diagnosed with the cancer I was prescribed it to use as needed. It ddnt do anything for me so I am little concerned that it wont work and I cant take the xanax in case of emergency.

They also wanted to put me on Lexapro but I truly do not want to go down the antidepressant road again. I want to do this with Cognitive therapy. Right now I have xanax in my system which is why I am able to work right now...I feel like there is no way out.

If panic attacks occur frequently, can you develop permanent damage to your heart? Its very scary. And my chest hurts so much....please tell me this is normal and any advise on the meds would be appreciated.