View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
(male)

kiwinz HB User
Any research on standing vs. sitting after eating?

I have heard "relax while you eat" and many say to remain sitting after a meal for some time. I have a theory that staying seated after eating may not be a good idea. It seems logical to me that in a sitting state the LES valve would be less tense, and if standing the LES would get a signal to remain tighter. Why? because the body would be in a motive position and the valve would need to be taut in case of movement. This is purely speculative of course, but I plan to test this theory out myself now that I have a standing desk. I plan to sit, relax and enjoy my meals (smaller portions, smaller bites, chewing longer), then after my meal stay in a standing position. Our abdominal muscles constantly work in this position, so maybe the LES valve would as well. I also seem better after walking briskly in our hilly neighborhood for 1hr a day (I am 5-11 165lbs so the feeling better is not attributed to weight loss). I think the upright position and walking may naturally improve the LES valve. Always interested to discuss such ideas, concepts or be directed to studies if anyone knows of them.

Last edited by kiwinz; 07-25-2012 at 01:54 AM.