View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Princesca HB User
Puzzled by my thyroid results...

Edit: I realize my post is long, so here's the raw data. TSH <.03, FT3 4.3, FT4 .96, Uptake 31.3%, diagnosed PCOS and nodular goiter, no perceptible thyroid symptoms. Results of scan this afternoon. Thoughts?

Hi everyone - this is my first post, so please bear with me!

I am hoping someone can assist in helping me understand some thyroid results that don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have had the WORST allergy season ever this year, because of the fact that we did not have a winter, and we have had next to no rain. Usually, I am able to function with an occasional dose of Claritin, but this year I actually needed prescription Flonase. Anyway, to cut to the chase, I went to my GP for allergy help, and he ended up feeling my thyroid and asked if I had ever been diagnosed with something called multinodular goiter. He ordered a TSH test, which came back <.03 and referred me to an endo. All other test results were normal - BP 124/74, 67 resting heart rate, blood sugar 80, cholesterol normal.

Anyway, so I went to the endo. TSH levels came back in the same range. Free T3 was 4.3, free T4 was .96. Went for a radiation uptake and scan - I don't know the scan results yet, but my uptake was 31.3%. From what I have read, my Free T3/T4 are within the margin of error for normal, and my uptake is borderline, higher than the max but lower than the diagnosis for hyperthyroid. My thyroid ultrasound, done in the endo's office, did confirm the presence of nodules.

I don't think I have any symptoms of hyperthyroid. I don't have insomnia, I certainly can't lose weight without trying (I have been overweight my whole life), I don't have anxiety (well, wait, I'm a working woman in her 30s in a recession - okay, yeah, I have anxiety but I'm pretty sure it's situational). If anything I feel hypo... I can't lose weight for anything, I can pretty much nap at any given time of day. But even then, I don't feel abnormally so... if I'm tired, it's because I go to bed at 11 and get up at 5:45.

I have a meeting with my endo this afternoon, and would like to have some idea of what I'm dealing with so I can come prepared with questions. From what I've read, it seems to me that I should have the antibody tests run? Does anyone else have any insight or advice?

Thanks so much for your help. I have researched this like crazy, but I can't seem to come to any strong picture of what these results might mean. Because my test results seem so borderline, and I have no symptoms and am in good health otherwise except for my weight, I am very hesitant to engage in any strong course of therapy. Could 'wait and monitor' be a viable option?

Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but I have also been diagnosed with PCOS - though aside from weight and not getting my period, I don't have any symptoms of that, either. (ie no apparent blood sugar issues, etc)

Last edited by Princesca; 07-26-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Am chatty