View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Pituitary Resistance to Thyroid Hormone

Hi Karen,

Was surprised to see your post. I haven't been on in a while and didn't get a notification of it but had run across new PubMed article today regarding treatment and thought it might be appropriate to pass it on: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22793502 Seems at least some doctors realize that there are symptoms attached to this disorder and they're trying to help by coming up with a better solution. Actually, TRIAC is an older treatment and I never understood why it fell out of favor, except that a myth seemed to be circulating among the experts that it was a rather symptomless disorder. I always wished one of them could try it on.

I haven't been feeling well for a while but I think it's more to do with other stuff, rather than the RTH, although it was interesting to see my thyroid hormones respond to whatever's going on and reflect the stress that my body's been under. My TSH and T4 have really bottomed out after being stable for several years. T3's normal but I take T3. When that happens, I know I'm sick but I've also watched it happen every time I've had a major illness. I can point to it and watch the doctors scratch their heads. Thyroid's sometimes baffle them.

As to the heat, some people used to accuse me of being part reptile. It was a joke at my shop because I rarely ran the a/c and was able to tolerate it. Don't tell anyone but part of it was so that people wouldn't stick around all day. I remember it bothering me a little as a child, mostly when I was trying to sleep. I used to pour glasses of water over myself in bed to try and get comfortable enough to sleep. I even had a heat stroke once while we were at the beach (no one else did), but as an adult, I always felt cold. That is, until I started the T3 and am more in line with what other people feel. Hot bothers me now but I also feel it should. Whether that's her problem, I can't say for sure but I do know that it's probably wise to make sure she stays well hydrated. In spite of protests, water is the best for doing that. I always sweated an awful lot, especially from the feet and hands, even when I was cold.

Atenolol blocks adrenaline. Even the "cardioselective" ones are not totally cardioselective. It's more a label that says they don't have a whole lot of effect on the lungs. They tone down the constant buzz. It can be a mild buzz but sometimes it's a wanna jump out of your skin and go running down the road in just your insides buzz. Atenolol has a noticeable effect on my tremor, the sweating, the heart rate, the brain overload and just plain calms things down a notch. I also sleep better because I can turn the racing thoughts off so that I can fall asleep. I love the stuff and there's no way I would let anyone ever take it away from me. I don't want to go back to the way I used to feel.

I'm not surprised at all that you noticed a difference in her behavior. I can remember seeing one of my sisters after not seeing her for quite a few years. She wanted to know what was wrong. I asked her what she meant and she said I was sitting still. She said that she had never in her life see me sit still. Revelation. Treatment helps.

She's growing into that wonderful age of turning into a young lady. Such a precious time. I'm glad you're such a wonderful mom. I'm sure you'll help her do well.

Helen