Originally Posted by asm505
I'm not even sure how to go about getting a 2nd opinion and I'm nervous that if I ask about surgery, it's just going to start a new host of problems. ...
I think I am just a bundle of nerves right now....
I sympathize with you. Doctors make me nuts, too.
How you go about getting another opinion depends on your insurance, I suppose. I'm not dependent on referrals, so I just call up the doctor's office of my choice and book an appointment. When the receptionist asks why you want to see the doctor, just say you need a second opinion about a thyroid nodule. Simple as that. You don't have to go in with a predetermined agenda. Just tell him/her that you're being told it can wait for a whole year without any monitoring but that you aren't completely comfortable with that advice [I wouldn't be, either.] and would like to know what his/her opinion about it is.
The issue with waiting too long is that - cancer or not - that nodule can grow way out of control and start wrapping itself around other structures in the neck or even grow under the collarbone into the chest.
I hope you can soon figure out exactly what it is you need. But I agree with Sammy that an endocrinologist is not the person to help you do that. You need the sage advice of an experienced ENT right now.
Good luck to you!