View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

Tum1919 HB User
Trileptal problems - memory??

I'm 21 and I've been dealing with bipolar disorder for about 7 years. I've been on all kinds of medication, all of which either didn't work... or had terrible adverse side effects. I'm now on Trileptal, which is an anticonvulsant and a mood stablizer, and it seems to be working well as far as my moods go, but I have the WORST short term memory loss!!! And I do stupid things ALL THE TIME. Like turning down the wrong road in the town I've lived in my whole life. My psychiatrist thought I was ADD but I finally had her take a good look at the side effects of Trileptal and she was just so "shocked" to find that cognitive impairment was on that list of side effects. I came to decide to just remain on the medication for now to avoid the risk of experiencing an emotional crash, but the memory and thought issues are becoming more than I can handle.

Now - this is bad to admit... but I'm terrible at taking the correct amount of medication every day. I take what I remember to take, which is often not enough. But I'm doing fine. I'm beginning to wonder, if I just wean myself of this med, could I live a life being bipolar WITHOUT medication? Is it possible!?!