View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: How to force myself to like exercising

It's just so hard to actually try and get started, even with taking a walk. I hate the heat and I hate walking around in a sweat-drenched shirt even more because it makes me feel so disgusting. Lame excuse, I know, but I can't stand how it feels.

It's hard for me to diet not only because I get hungry quite often, but because I'm being pressured by a parent to diet and when they try to force me to do things, I often do the exact opposite of what they say because, well, I hate them. I just don't think I have the willpower to diet like I used to. Not to mention I often do work from home that requires hours' worth of sitting and once I get into my "zone," it's hard to break out of it and I usually feel lazy all day long.

Sadly, there's really very little I enjoy doing that involves moving anymore because I get winded so easily. I used to like playing Dance Dance Revolution (which is a great aerobic workout on the higher difficulties), but I tried doing it again for the first time in about 2 years and I could not keep up at all. That and my PlayStation is on the fritz and won't play most of my DDR games now.

Plus I think I am just at a point of hopelessness right now. I'd probably need to lose about 80 pounds to reach my ideal weight, but I know how much I struggle and exercise for weeks and don't lose an ounce and it's the biggest disappointment in the world knowing all that hard work was for nothing, and I just figure I'm too fat to lose any weight, so I gave up. I've actually considered giving myself a tapeworm to try and lose weight (and if I wasn't so creeped out by bugs and them crawling out of my body, I'd probably have done it by now).

Thank you both for your advice - I'll try to put it to use. I would like to at least get a working PlayStation so I can play DDR again and maybe start on the lighter settings. Not much movement on those, but it's something. I also am trying to find a slower-paced belly dancing video. I think the hardest part is just getting started and forcing myself to do stuff I know deep down I don't even want to do.

As someone once told me, doing something you like means an hour feels like 5 minutes. Doing something you hate means 5 minutes feels like an hour. I have to agree.