View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: anyone emotional after fusion?

The general anesthesia can really upset hormones and can cause all kinds of different reactions. It can take about a month or so to kind of get over it. But I wouldn't be surprised if your other issues are playing into this, too. It is easy to get discouraged when facing a long recovery...but soon you'll see that it gets better, you start feeling a bit more like yourself and once you start PT, you will have a busy schedule, and the time will go by quickly.

I would suggest you try some relaxation exercises, even just set aside a few minutes for some deep breathing exercises several times per day. It will aid your recovery if you can maintain a positive attitude. I found it best not to look too much ahead or behind. Just take it one day at a time. Also, don't constantly ask yourself how you are feeling, or am I better today than I was yesterday?

Recovery from fusion usually involves a couple steps forward and a step back. It is never just a straight march forward. You will have some set backs as you go along. The key is to keep them to a minimum. Learn to listen to your body and avoid doing too much too soon so that you cause an increase in inflammation or a nerve flare. Better to be a bit conservative and not irritate a nerve, particularly the sciatic nerve or the SI joints...which can be so easily irritated after lower lumbar fusion.