View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: How often to take methadone

Thank you! Glad to hear I'm not the only one where this is more of a short acting med. Still, its by far the best med for me (unless I was wanting to trial even higher doses of other meds). Yeah I've been taking the first dose right when I wake up (30mg), then 20mg every four hours until the last dose right before bed. I think I'll try moving the last dose from 20mg to 30mg since I have an extra pill. In time when i can tolerate it I'd like to go up a bit more too.

I'm lucky in that I seem to get very few side effects. I think it actually improves my mood...I know with less pain I am in a better mood, but even when my pain levels are higher on it, I feel more like my old (pain free) self. I seem to only have the issue with nodding off while driving, but I'm on Ritalin for hypersomnolence now (needed even when not on methadone), so it hasn't been a problem.

Although now that I am taking it throughout the entire day, I can't tolerate any alcohol without nodding off (yes I'm very careful). Oh well. My brain works much better on these meds then off. Since my pain is headache, I just can't focus when the pain is pounding. I actually was having a workout regime when previously on methadone, and had to give it up while trialing morphine and then fentanyl, but I want to get back into it. I'm only talking about 20 minutes on the elliptical a few days a week though...

I do hope I can maintain this and improve on it. I was stabilized on methadone for a couple years before my relief waned a bit, and then continued to decline as my doctor wouldn't increase the dose. I think two years is quite reasonable between increases.

My goal is to get to 50% relief and have my pain levels more evened out...my baseline pain has wide swings though, so its tough. Plus, my tolerance. Hoping my recent bt med quantity increase will help too, although its at half of my previous dose. If the methadone is at the right level it could work. I agree how important it is to have reasonable goals. I'd like to open up a conversation about a pain pump with my doctor but am waiting for the right time. I don't think we've quite yet reached that point where we are at a standstill with ideas. I could really see myself doing well on a pain pump with methadone though. Best wishes.