View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: How often to take methadone

I haven't had a doctor will to prescribe it or some of the more off the wall meds yet (lack of familiarity with potential benefits, higher risk of side effects than some of the first line treatments, etc). But, I'll give my new pain doc a try with some of my ideas now that my long acting med is finally stable. I haven't had any luck with the usual stuff they use as adjuncts for chronic pain, known as preventatives in the headache world. Topamax, Amitriptyline, etc.

Thankfully insurance is one thing that isn't a worry now. Brand name meds up my costs, but they are do able as long as it not more than a couple a month. Better to no be relying on them since plans easily change though. I'm on a ton of meds though. I really with the Botox helped me. Hopeful for the temporal block I have next week. For my neck, I seem to really minimize the issue with good posture, stretching, massage (every 2 weeks, insurance covers it), and Zanaflex every night. The headache is another story though!

Yeah I agree with you on the dose thing. I also know that I am happy to do what it takes to keep me working now, because its very unlikely with all I already have going on medically at 26 that I will work up to a normal retirement age. If I wasn't working I could probably manage ok without the meds. I did so for the first few years of the headache. I know I am doing the best I can to minimize my dose and try other treatments. I'm the one usually asking doctors to try more, not refusing stuff and only wanting the pain meds.