View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Omeprazole doesn't seem to be helping my lpr

My Gastroenterologist had me try each PPI for a minimum of 4-6 weeks before determining if it was going to help or not.

Honestly, for me, omeprazole was the worst of the lot. Everyone is different when it comes to which PPI's work the best for them.

I will share that I never found the 40 mg. dosages to help when my LPR was flared. I usually had to take the 40 mg. twice per day before I really saw any changes in my symptoms.

The throat will take longer to heal from irritation than the esophagus does with the PPI's. If things get really bad, you can supplement PPI's with Zantac or Gaviscon. Personally, I found the chewable Gaviscon a good assist for my throat issues.

If this started after antibiotics, you might look into taking a high quality probiotic to help balance your system back out. My GI doc recommended DSM. Regular VSL #3 is OTC. My GI doc prescribed VSL #3 DS which is a stronger version available only by prescription.