View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Help!!!! Reaction to bandages?

Sorry to hear about your rash. I have similar problems with all sorts of adhesives and I can develop some mean looking rashes!

I've found that I'm fine with Tegaderm - very expensive, but I'm not allergic to it like I am paper tapes and other bandage tapes. I now request that any dressings I have be secured with Tegaderm and that has saved me a lot of problems.

As far as getting your current rash to heal, it would be best to wash it as best you can to remove residual adhesive that may still be in the wound. A warm washcloth held on it for several minutes would help with this, but be careful not to get close to your incisions. After that, 1% hydrocortizone cream would help reduce swelling - perhaps use for a couple days. Then a light coating of triple antibiotic ointment, A&D ointment, or even petroleum jelly would help the irritated area heal over well with minimal scarring.

Best wishes!