View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Newbie here with strong concerns/worries :( Looking for help and advice....

You are diabetic, eh?

There's a complication of diabetes called gastroparesis: Slow stomach. The stomach doesn't empty or process food as fast as it should. It can be diagnosed conclusively by something called a stomach emptying study, which is somewhat complicated. A gastroenterologist can tentatively diagnose it based on symptoms and on listening to your stomach with a stethoscope.

Eating plain foods low in fat and easy to digest helps. However, keeping your blood sugar under control is important in general and helps control gastroparesis.

I'm not diabetic, but I do have mild gastroparesis. When things get bad, I eat white carbs, but I also include easy protein sources. Probably the blandest source of protein is hard-boiled eggs with the yolks removed. If you tolerate dairy, fat-free cottage cheese or yogurt can also go well.

Meat should be lean and minimally seasoned. Skinless chicken or a white fish are better options, pork or beef I need to avoid.

Fruits, veggies and whole grains are very healthy, but they have lots of fiber, which can be hard on people with gastroparesis. You have to eat some veggies, but cooked ones are easier to digest than raw, and don't eat too much of them at one sitting.

Most of all, portion size. Eat a small meal, let it go down, eat another small meal.