Thread: outbreaks
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

needadvice12 HB User
Re: outbreaks

Thank you both for the posts. Similarly, I was diagnosed with HSV-2 about a year and a half ago and it took a long time for me to even get used to the idea. To add some personal insight - keep in mind I am not a doctor or in the medical profession - having the ability to tell a potential partner about having this condition takes a lot of courage. To answer your question about the risk of spreading the virus, the risk is lowered by using protection like condoms, and also by taking a daily medication. I have been on the daily valtrex for the past year and have not had any symptoms or outbreaks. In addition, it give yous peace of mind because I've also been told that it helps to minimize outbreaks. Also, it does lower the risk of spreading the virus when you are not having symptoms. As I'm sure you know, while viral shedding is possible in between outbreaks, my doctor told me that with no symptoms and while on the daily medication, the risk of spreading it becomes extremely low. I'm not able to give a number because that depends on your personal condition and how often you have outbreaks. Additionally, as far as I'm aware there is no evidence that suggests that having your negative partner take the daily medication lowers the risk at all. I'm not positive about that though.

As far as dealing with this condition, the best way I can suggest looking at this in a positive way is that it literally forces you to slow down and appreciate someone for qualities besides those having to do with sex. Where you might otherwise rush into having a sexual relationship, this condition makes it so that you get to know someone first and possibly develop strong feelings for that person before thinking about becoming intimate. In addition, giving that person a chance to develop feelings for you before becoming intimate i.e. telling them about the H also increases the chances that they'll want to stick around. Essentially, you're forced into finding a generous and caring guy/girl where you might otherwise settle for something less. That's not too terrible, right? Good luck