Thread: My Stroke
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
My Stroke

Hello Everyone,
Let me begin by saying it was a blessing to find this site. I have learned more here than from the group of doctors treating me. I think it has more to do with not knowing what to ask or finding the words to tell the doctor how and what you're feeling.

I had a TIA stroke on June 3, 2012. (left frontal brain) Although it was considered a mini stroke, it was a stroke. As of today, I do not have any loss of movement on the right-side. However, fatigue, weakness, tinglings, anxiety and nerve pain do exist.

Prior to having the stroke, I did not realize I had high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I considered myself a healthy and active 51 year old mother of three.

I think one of the most difficult parts of my healing process has been getting my meds regulated. Until recently, I did not have much hope on a speedy recovery until my meds were changed last week. The BP meds I was on made me feel AWFUL. I was also taking anxiety and depression meds that also made me feel worse. I recommend not waiting more than 2-3 weeks to determine if certain meds are working for you. Tell your doctor!

Since I had not lost coordination or movement, the doctors did not offer physical therapy. After almost three months I asked for physical and occupational therapy. During my evaluation, the therapist asked what I hoped to accomplish and my response was to gain my strength and confidence. I have lost all self-confidence and have been so un-sure of life's simple things. I'm sure if you are reading this, you know what I'm talking about. I learned that this is completely normal with stroke patients. Just as anxiety and depression is.

I can happily say as of today, it seems I'm on the right track with blood pressure and cholesterol medicines. I also have a positive outlook with physical therapy!

Wishing each of you a blessed day!