View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
(female)

toosad HB User
Re: Problems after Gastic Bypass Roux-En-Y?

I am looking into the same revision-from roux-en-y to DS. Do you mind my asking how far you have got with it? I am absolutely wore out trying to get all the paperwork I need to get my insurance to pay for the revision.

I am very unhappy with the results of the RNY I had in 2004. I didn't lose near enough weight, and now have gained 70 lbs back. I absolutely stuck with the RNY program and walked 50 minutes 6 to 7 days a week.

The DS revision doctor requires (which is only reasonable) that my PC will support me on this and help co-ordinate all the paperwork, labs, etc. Since I moved, I have a new PC that does not know me well. She has not said no, but wants me to provide information about the surgery since she is not familiar with it.

My insurance requires I prove I stayed with the program and something was not right with my surgery because I quit losing weight and eventually started gaining weight. How on earth do you do that??????????

Since it is a revision instead of just an original DS, I have been told there are only 4-5 doctors in the US that will do it. I live in KY, and the doctor I think is the best is in San Fransisco. That is a long way. But he says he does patients from all over the US in one plane trip. You get your pre-surgery stuff done locally, fly there, spend 2-3 days in the hospital after surgery, (he only does it openly which I have been told that is the only safe way to have THAT revision done), he requires you to stay close 10 days, and if all is ok, you can go home. Luckily, I have friends only an hour from San Fransisco. But the Doctors in New York said the first month is critical, so I am going to stay a month with my friends. Is this crazy? You can research it to death, and still not know.

The doctors in this area (Kentucky) were so against DS back in 2004 they hardly mentioned it except to scare you out of it. I had never heard of it, so I believed them. Since then, I have leaned that means they don't know how to do that surgery, so they push what they know. I went to a few seminars 3-4 years after my RNY, and found doctors that could only do lapband, so they were preaching against RNY. I had forgotten that my doctors had even mentioned DS. I had never heard of it back then, and if they say it is so bad, why would I look into it when I could get their Golden Cadallic? If I had heard of the DS, I would have had that in the first place. I know myself well enough that at 314 lbs, I needed the strongest surgery out there.

I stuck like glue to the roux-en-y program and walked 50 minutes 6 out of 7 days. But I only lost down to 168. Then it just ended. Or I wish it had. I started gaining the weight back. I have now gained 70 lbs back with no end in sight. Of course, trying to diet works as well for me now as it did before the surgery-IT DOESN"T. After so much dieting and struggling with my weight still going up, I just gave up. It is just like they said, if I could diet, I wouldn't need the surgery.

Now, they want me to diet. I have been told you can only have 4-500 calories. I have been told your body will find a way to get around the RNY. I don't know what to believe.