View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

gobnait06 HB User
Re: Ultimately Will My Foot Be Amputated

mgceru: Hi there. I am a 56 year old female amputee. My story is not exactly like yours but I wanted to give you some reassurance about amputation. I am an above the knee amputee who lost her leg 13 years after an accident that severely injured my leg in 1992. Amputation had been recommended to me at the time of the accident but my family begged me to get a second opinion. I was told I could live with the leg in its compromised state but eventually complications did lead to amputation. For years I was terrified at the prospect of amputation and couldn't figure out why I was so afraid. When the time came that amputation was necessary, I awoke one night, sat bolt upright in my bed and realized that my biggest fear was that first moment when I would awake to see my lower leg missing following the surgery. When I came to that realization, I wasn't afraid anymore. For me the amputation made life so much easier-no more nerve pain, no more bone infection, no more circulatory problems. Because of my years of using a brace and crutches, my leg muscles had atrophied and my knee was gone and I couldn't use a prothesis but I do fine with crutches and a wheelchair. Getting used to a below the knee amputation is much easier-it's like wearing a heavy boot. I am seven years post-amputation. I do have some phantom pain that I manage by massaging my stump and most phantom pain fades with time. Sometimes amputation is the best way to go as scary as it can be. You are much stronger than you think and you will handle whatever comes to pass. All the best!

The Following User Says Thank You to gobnait06 For This Useful Post:
mgceru (09-13-2012)