View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
123thumper HB User
Re: after treatment for neck and throat cancer what side effects will I have

I, too have been experiencing what all of you have been saying in this particular line of postings. stage 4 Squamous cell carcinoma at the base of the throat, also HPV related...however, I am a recovering alchoholic (21 years sober) & 1 pack a day smoker (now still can't let go of the 5 or so I still smoke) & I smoke pot. It's CRAZY that I can't let go of the ciggs after all I've been through!!! I'm working on finding the right way to do it that works for me & smoking cessation programs/resources in my area. I had 36 radiations & 7 chemo treatments (Erbitux)...GOD IT WAS S-O-O BAD AT TIMES! I was having trouble with the pain, diarrhea & nauseousness & finding the right medications for any of it that didn't make any of the other side effects worse. It's now been 3 months after treatments & my 1st MRI looked good. PET Scan coming up next week & another endoscopy in Oct. I have experienced all of the above mentioned side effects with an addition of a swollen saliva gland that is bothering my ear. I do not have a G-tube...lost 20+ pounds during treatments & am still hovering right around 137-140 lbs. I force myself to eat & still can't taste much...also have 1 ot two Ensures a day. I was wishing they had a pamphlet, publication or something that had a line-up of what side effects to expect & when. I'm one of those kind of guys that will try to have it all planned & figured out...whatever it is. Right after treatments I had a HORRIBLE radiation burn come out on my neck, thoat, running part way down to almost my chest & the tips of my shoulders. The left side was the worst & developed cellulitis (severe infection)...I had to be put in the hospital for a couple days while the ran several IV antibiotics through me. I couldn't find any available/recommended creams or salves that didn't burn/sting or make it ooz even more. My wife finally got some raw, fresh Aloe Leaf from the produce dept. at the grocery store. She cut & peeled some pieces & would keep them in some filtered clean water with some pieces of gauze in a covered bowl. I would keep applying the gauze to the burns & when I could finally apply it without it burning too much, used the anibiotic cream I was given. It took awhile, but finally cleared up. I was getting pretty tired of having to be peeled off the pillow & sheets in the morning...I would stick to them. I've been full of questions the whole time. I have great doctors at Stanford Universities Cancer center in Palo Alto, CA (where I did my treatments) who try answer the best they can...but it doesn't seem to be enough. I finally started going to the available support group meetings, councellors & now this blog site. I have trouble fighting with depression, but the more I reach out & search for different answers & ways to share experiences, it seems to help. Thank you for this chance to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.