View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

JustBreathe47 HB User
New here, Hello :)

Hi everyone,
My name is Lainie and I have been lurking here for awhile and decided I'd ask my first few questions. First I have a severe Cervical Stenosis and just started seeing a wonderful pain Doctor. Of all the horror stories I have read, I am really lucky to have him as he is very caring and listens to me.
Anyway my GP previously would just throw Norco's at me and didn't get why I'd say *but this isn't enough* I did go thru a few other's like Lyrica, Gaba, Neurotin etc without relief or uncomfortable side affects. And when I told her the Norco wasn't working, She actually was the one that treated me like I was drug seeking. Man what a feeling . I was like look, I'm not looking for an Opiad, I'm just looking for some relief!

Anyway, finally I asked to be referred to a Pain Doc, and thank god she did as he understood why Norco wasn't good for long term or long acting pain. He carefully explained to me the ups and downs with pain and so far is doing a great job helping me and doesn't treat me like a druggie ya know?!

So far we've tried several muscle relaxers, which haven't worked until the recent one....Valium. Which is great as I had in the past took xanax anyway for anxiety and now I feel like something works and it means less pills because I am killing two birds with one stone KWIM?

He allows my opinions (I will admit I do get pretty anxious about all these meds) and just works with me. I had built up a pretty good tolerance to the Norco's so he allowed me to switch to Percocet (but it's been pretty week and the hot flashes are killing me, so my next appt I am gonna see if I can try something different for BT pain).

Now for my main question. He has been talking to me about Morphine as a LA med. I shunned it off the first few times (I mean to a newbie, that's a very scary word!!!) but as I research and talk to others (including another friend I have who is a pain doc, but actually works with addicts getting off the meds) and have realized all these drugs are basically the same anyway, so I might as well give it a shot ya know? Sometimes my pain is so bad I would do anything to take it away (although I have learned realistically that I can never expect it to go away entirely, but even lowering that pain no. would be great!!!)

He has mentioned Kadian. Can anyone here give me their experience with it and or side affects they may have gotten? Also, is there other BT meds I can try besides what I have in the past?

Thank you so much, and I plan to learn a lot from this board

Lainie