View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User
Re: Surgery scheduled for 9/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniDay View Post
That would be great, Ginger! I've been out of touch for a few days because my son was hospitalized with pancreatitis. While I was there with him, I got some practice with a wheelchair. It was a very long walk from the entrance to the elevators. My husband also got practice pushing a wheelchair and thinking about what accessories will be necessary. Definitely a bag for the back or sides, and a drink holder. Seems like we often stopped for a diet coke on our way to his room. One time we were loaded down with 2 drinks, my purse, my bookbag, his laptop. A lot to carry, even though I took much of it in my lap. Glad I had the chance to try it out before bringing one home.

All of the walking in the hospital made me more confident that the surgery is the right thing to do. It was quite painful walking on a couple of days that I didn't use a chair. I'll remember the difficulty walking when I'm in post-surgery pain!
How is your son doing? Sorry to hear about his recent bout with pancreatitis. I hope he is doing much better!!!
I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the wheelchair at the hospital...sometimes those walks...especially in a large hospital...can be a bit taxing!! The use of the wheelchair obviously gave you some much needed practice in negotiating it and your husband practice in pushing it.
It sounds like you are already thinking about needed accessories. Good thinking!!! Who would have thought about accessories like clip-on bags, a small place to put your purse, and a cup holder? But, these are definitely must-haves.
I don't know about you, but I always have to have something to drink at the mall, doctor's offices, and hospitals. It does make it much nicer to have those small accessories than to have hands tied down with cups, purses, and laptops.
I'm glad you had the opportunity to pause and reflect on your surgery. It was probably a good thing for you to reach that conclusion. I'm sure a year from now, you will be glad you chose to have surgery.