View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
(female)

chinabelle HB User
Re: Strontium vs calcium absorption

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVERSAGGI View Post
Phyllis, I do appreciate your knowledge. I have always accepted at face value something I've read in more than one place, that we can't absorb more than 500 mg of calcium at one time; hence my dividing it into two doses. But if you are getting good DEXA's with a single calcium/mag dose, maybe I can try that. Thanks for your input.
Rose
I agree best to take calcium in divide does and don't over do it as it can create calcifications in your blood which can stick to the blood vessel walls! Calcium is best taken with food and also with Magnesium in a 2 to 1 ration ( calcium to mag) Mag is very hard to get absorbed though and I have read that Magnesium oil is the best to use. It is applied on the skin but warning it stings a little. ( Ancient minerals or the one by Swanson are good brands. Mag is very often deficient in lood and really good doe you. Good idea to get mineral levels in blood tested.
On another note, the Strontium should be taken on an empty stomach and definitely not to be taken in combination with calcium. It is a pain I agree. I have also read that they are doing studies on developing Strontium as a prescription drug in very high levels. Teh high levels of Strontium have been associated with clot formation! Yikes!! This scares me too! I imagine taking strontium in low doses is okay. Try to google the research on ST made by pharm companies and see what you come up with. Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but it behooves us to be wary of all possible side effects when it comes to supplements and rugs. I think the old adage" everything in moderation" is really good advice!