View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

Belly864 HB User
Self-Help Books... Uh, No. Not Now.

To make a long story short, the economic difficulties of the last 3 or 4 years have exacerbated issues that I've always had and life has become rather challenging and discouraging. I've always been a "try again" person, but lately the positive events have been greatly overshadowed by numerous disappointing events and chronic financial anxiety. I'm out of (emotional) gas right now, and much less resilient both physically and emotionally. Most of the things I like or need to do to help myself cost money... that I don't have.

So the other day, instead of sugar-coating things and/or downplaying my difficulties, I opened up to my mom and told her honestly how I feel. She reacted by asking me if I'd read this self-help book, The Secret. I know she loves me and is only trying to help, and of course positive thinking is always a good thing, but I felt really offended and betrayed. What if you feel like you just CAN'T think positively? What if you've always tried it but it doesn't help? What if you have legitimately serious problems that a book won't solve? It's always frustrating when you feel like whoever you're talking to just doesn't get the seriousness of what you're saying, and I know I'm not alone in that experience. I don't know why my reaction to this book suggestion has been so extreme and provoked so much anger on my part, rather than just annoyance.

My mom ordered the book for me, it showed up, and now she's asking me about it every time we talk, which is about once or twice a week. I've managed to duck the subject, but sooner or later....

What do you folks think?

The following user gives a hug of support to Belly864:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)