View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Hearing problems with TMD

I'm in the same boat. My TMJD took a while to get diagnosed because it presented first as a stuffy ear, then with ear pain, then I discovered the hearing loss when I went in for testing on the first two.

My TMJD testing and MRI showed my tmj discs had slipped forward which resulted in my lower jaw being pushed back towards my ear. They are just mm apart.

Finding a good TMJ orthodontist made all the difference in the world for me. I wore a lower mandibular repositioning splint during the day and a seperate night splint with a wedge that helped hold my lower jaw forward when I slept.

I've just gone from the the splint to braces, but I found a lot of relief after a few months of wearing the repositioning splint.

Have you asked your dentist about why you are only wearing the splint at night? That means your tmj positioning is back to it's old positioning during the day. To make a real difference, most people need the 24/7 splints. At least that has been my experience on this board over the last few years.

I go in to the audiologist at the end of the month for a check-up so I'll know more about how my hearing is doing then. I will say that I ended up with hearing aids which I've found very beneficial.

You can read many of my posts on this board starting from 2009 to see my TMJ story.