View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

Belly864 HB User
Re: Self-Help Books... Uh, No. Not Now.

Thank you for your replies and understanding!

I actually cooled off enough and started reading the book, and got all riled up again. Don't get me wrong...I love the concept of positive thinking, and I believe it is certainly beneficial to everyone. I greatly enjoy the books by Dale Carnegie, Napoleon Hill, Norman Vincent Peal, etc., and this would be a good time to revisit them. I consider myself somewhat spiritual, but I don't go blabbing about it to everyone all the time.

However, the part of the book I happened to land on when I was reading it yesterday talked about how everything in your life today you attracted to yourself. Yes, thanks to the "law of attraction", every single thing, even the bad things that you think are just totally random things that have nothing to do with our will.

Now, I think it's a great thing to take responsibility for one's own mental health, and we certainly can--for the most part--control how we react to the world around us. We probably DO have more control over our lives than we choose to admit. Nevertheless, I can check the weather forecast before leaving the house, I can remember to bring an umbrella and dress appropriately, but I absolutely cannot influence the weather, no matter how I think. I'm just not that dumb.

Isn't there a maxim out there about knowing that there are things you can change, things you can't, and how you have to know the difference? It seems to me that thinking one has control over something when one really doesn't would lead to more depression and chaos, and then thinking that everything is your fault would be really harmful in the long run.

Thanks for hearing my rant!

The following user gives a hug of support to Belly864:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)