View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Attacks vs Flare ups ect...

Attack versus flare-up (from my MS pamphlet I got from my doctor):

"An exacerbation of MS (also known as a relapse, attack, or flare-up) causes new symptoms or the worsening of old symptoms. It can be very mild or severe enough to interfere with a personís ability to function at home and at work. No two exacerbations are alike, and symptoms vary from person to person and from one exacerbation to another."

Note to be considered a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days.

An exacerbation can last for a few days OR months! I am currently battling nerve pain as you described. For me it started the 2 week of August and may last until November/December. on a 10/10 scale I went through a few days of 12's. I use a heating pad which, for me, is the most relieving treatment I have found. I start at the point of the most pain and I will follow the pain from there before I start all over.

Confused? Your doctor may use terms which you might want to ask. Ask your doctor to define attack and flare-up so that when you see him you will "be on the same page".
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><