View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

Becky1971 HB User
Re: Attacks vs Flare ups ect...

Thank you!

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I remember reading something you said about using a fan on your legs. I related to that so much. I also use hot baths to help with my legs and now my arm, but I have become more sensitive to the heat so now if I do it, then It makes things worse, so I'm frustrated about not having that little bit of a brief relief anymore.

There's a part of me that's feels like no way this could be MS, (along with other stuff going on, I was thinking maybe if I do have MS, that affects the immune system? Kinda beats your body down?) But it also would make perfect sense of things. At the same time, it's quite scary, especially thinking about the worst of the pain, and knowing it could be worse, or the possibility of my eye sight not getting better, I don't drive at night now at all, it has to be something very important. I don't feel safe doing it. My heart really goes out to you guys!

I have also done MS walks, and I wanted so bad to make it a run this year, and it just wasn't possible, I have just been too weak. The thought of that not being a possibility ever is sad, but it's a goal I won't give up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Attack versus flare-up (from my MS pamphlet I got from my doctor):

"An exacerbation of MS (also known as a relapse, attack, or flare-up) causes new symptoms or the worsening of old symptoms. It can be very mild or severe enough to interfere with a personís ability to function at home and at work. No two exacerbations are alike, and symptoms vary from person to person and from one exacerbation to another."

Note to be considered a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days.

An exacerbation can last for a few days OR months! I am currently battling nerve pain as you described. For me it started the 2 week of August and may last until November/December. on a 10/10 scale I went through a few days of 12's. I use a heating pad which, for me, is the most relieving treatment I have found. I start at the point of the most pain and I will follow the pain from there before I start all over.

Confused? Your doctor may use terms which you might want to ask. Ask your doctor to define attack and flare-up so that when you see him you will "be on the same page".