View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

txmacdee HB User
Re: Dizziness while driving

Cubsmike,

Check into the symptoms of Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS) or SSCD

Symptoms may include any of the following:
Autophony: Hearing person's own speech or other self-generated noises (e.g. heartbeat, eye movements, creaking joints, chewing) are heard unusually loudly in the affected ear Dizziness/ vertigo/ chronic disequilibrium caused by the dysfunction of the superior semicircular canal.
Tullio Phenomenon: Sound-induced vertigo, disequilibrium or dizziness, nystagmus and oscillopsia.
Pulse-Synchronous: Oscillopsia: is a visual disturbance in which objects in the visual field appear to oscillate. The severity of the effect may range from a mild blurring to rapid and periodic jumping. Sufferers may experience dizziness and nausea.
Hyperacusis: The over-sensitivity to sound.
Other Symptoms: Low-frequency conductive hearing loss.
Fullness: A feeling of fullness in the affected ear(s) Duh.
Pulsatile tinnitus: Clicking or rushing sound that goes along with your heartbeat.
Brain fog

Good Luck, and I hope you find the culprit and able to seek the proper treatment needed.

Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsmike View Post
I've tried searching around, as I've tried to find someone with similar symptoms, but I didn't have much luck, so I thought I would post my symptoms in the hopes that this message board could give me some encouragement.

Almost nine months ago I experienced a major attack at a sporting event, almost passed out and felt the stadium was moving. I thought perhaps I had just locked my knees and shook off my symptoms as being of my own accord. On the ride home I had to turn over the driving to other passengers, because I felt dizzy and like was going to pass out driving the vehicle. These symptoms persisted severely for a couple of weeks, driving on the highway caused me to pull over etc. Eventually these symptoms started to improve, to the point where i could drive at highway speed with only a faint feeling in the back of my head.

That was pretty much the status quo until about three months ago, when I experience a severe attack, where I couldn't turn my head to either side without becoming dizzy. I saw the doctor, had a CT scan and was diagnosed by my audiologist with VN. I've been doing the VRT exercises and feel my general everyday activities improving, however driving is still a problem. Somedays I can drive no problem and other days I seem to really struggle, with a faint feeling of movement, light-headedness and almost a "highway hypnosis" feeling while driving at high speed. Any suggestions?

I'm off to see an ENT and potentially an neurotologist next...