View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
txmacdee HB User
Re: Dizziness while driving

Check into the symptoms of Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS) or SSCD

Symptoms may include any of the following:
Autophony: Hearing person's own speech or other self-generated noises (e.g. heartbeat, eye movements, creaking joints, chewing) are heard unusually loudly in the affected ear Dizziness/ vertigo/ chronic disequilibrium caused by the dysfunction of the superior semicircular canal.
Tullio Phenomenon: Sound-induced vertigo, disequilibrium or dizziness, nystagmus and oscillopsia.
Pulse-Synchronous: Oscillopsia: is a visual disturbance in which objects in the visual field appear to oscillate. The severity of the effect may range from a mild blurring to rapid and periodic jumping. Sufferers may experience dizziness and nausea.
Hyperacusis: The over-sensitivity to sound.
Other Symptoms: Low-frequency conductive hearing loss.
Fullness: A feeling of fullness in the affected ear(s) Duh.
Pulsatile tinnitus: Clicking or rushing sound that goes along with your heartbeat.
Brain fog

Good Luck, and I hope you find the culprit and able to seek the proper treatment needed.

Originally Posted by cubsmike View Post
I've tried searching around, as I've tried to find someone with similar symptoms, but I didn't have much luck, so I thought I would post my symptoms in the hopes that this message board could give me some encouragement.

Almost nine months ago I experienced a major attack at a sporting event, almost passed out and felt the stadium was moving. I thought perhaps I had just locked my knees and shook off my symptoms as being of my own accord. On the ride home I had to turn over the driving to other passengers, because I felt dizzy and like was going to pass out driving the vehicle. These symptoms persisted severely for a couple of weeks, driving on the highway caused me to pull over etc. Eventually these symptoms started to improve, to the point where i could drive at highway speed with only a faint feeling in the back of my head.

That was pretty much the status quo until about three months ago, when I experience a severe attack, where I couldn't turn my head to either side without becoming dizzy. I saw the doctor, had a CT scan and was diagnosed by my audiologist with VN. I've been doing the VRT exercises and feel my general everyday activities improving, however driving is still a problem. Somedays I can drive no problem and other days I seem to really struggle, with a faint feeling of movement, light-headedness and almost a "highway hypnosis" feeling while driving at high speed. Any suggestions?

I'm off to see an ENT and potentially an neurotologist next...