View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

Lollypat HB User
Re: managing ibs symptoms

Hi. I'm 60 and have had IBS and GERD for more than 40 years. The GERD began with my pregnancy, as being pregnant caused a hiatal hernia in my stomach. I lived on antacids all through my pregnancy and forever after! Much suffering for years until I finally was given Tagamet. It provided a lot of relief. After a couple years though, it stopped working, so I moved on through Pepcid, Prilosec, Zantac, eye., winding up being barely relieved with nexium. Nexium works pretty well ifi am very careful in my diet, when I eat, what I drink, etc. then I got an RX for dexilant and found real relief. My insurance won't cover it though so I'm fighting them.

The IBS I've got is mostly diarrheal, but I get occasional constipation. I just hurt all the time. I do take probiotics every day - the one with billions of actives- and it helps a bit. I've tried as many of the quick cures as they come up with, but nothing, ncluding my GE, has been able to do much.

I do know my state of mind affects both issues, so being bipolar makes it a bit harder to get some relief, but I find when I am able to stay calm, both the GERD and the IBS tend to calm down a little.

I hope you find some relief.