View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

mrsBa HB User
Question about autism screening

Hello everyone...

What exactly do they do when they test a child for autism? My son's doctor recommended he get screened for autism due to his concern that our 19 month old is not talking yet and doesn't attempt to communicate through words or gestures. I've been trying to compile a list of our son's odd behaviors, the milestones he has not met yet, as well as background information on the challenges he has had and how he has changed and made accomplishments over time, but I do not know what is relevant and what should be left out.

We've suspected our son is autistic since he was very young, but when he began to change and some of these issues became less severe and he made accomlishments, we thought perhaps he might not be autistic at all. Since the doctor has suggested he get screened, we are now back to worrying he might be autistic becuase we have been noticing things we had previously not worried too much about and despite the accomplishments he has made, we are worried he might not be where he should be.