View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: levo and statins??

Twenty-five mcgs is almost never an adequate therapeutic dose! Fifty is the lowest "real" dose, and that's what you should be taking. Your doctor's reasoning is absolutely misguided. I fired a doctor for the same kind of thinking. He wanted to prescribe a different medicine for every symptom I had (including a statin that I refused to take) but adamently refused to prescribe thyroid hormone. Eventually, thyroid treatment (from a new doctor) lowered the cholesterol and eliminated the other symptoms I originally sought help for.

Your doctor should be targeting your TSH to be around 1.0. That's where healthy people's TSH falls. I think your FT4 should be in the 17-18 range (but you'll have to provide the lab's reference range for that test before knowing that for sure).

See if you can sweet talk him into a 25-mcg increase. If you can't, you may find better thyroid care in the hands of another practitioner.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-25-2012 at 08:17 AM.