Thread: Decision Time
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Decision Time

Hi here is my story. Hope it is of some help.

I have spine issues since 1988, which started off as bullging discs. At that time the treatment was traction; then physical therapy.

Ultimately my bulging discs became herniated. Thus the 1st of many surgeries. The first surgery was of the lumbar spine for herniated discs. The surgery went well, in hospital for 3 days or so then home and physical therapy.

Next surgery was for cervical stenosis of the foramen, which was a difficult surgery for me.

The 3rd surgery was for flatback syndrome which required a fusion and harrington rods of the lumbar spine. Overall it was a an easy surgery after being in the hospital for about a week I guess then home and physical therapy.

The worse surgery I was in for was a cervical sugery which originally was supposed to be a 1 day surgery of about 6 to 8 hours. It turned out to be a 2 day surgery of about 12 hours which required a bone graft from the hip then a fusioin done anterior and harrington rods posteriorly from C3 to T4 levels. A terrible surgery and terrible recovery time.

I am sure with the last surgeries and the fusion there must have been a laminectomy involved since a fusion was required as well.

With all the surgeries that I have been thru I have always recovered from the surgery that was done. I eventually was up and about.

But the issue that I have now is not that there was an issue with the surgeries or what the surgeons did. I always would recover and a new problem would arise. Nothing related to the surgery.

all my problems are degenerative in nature in that it was not the result of any accident or trauma. My issues now are that I develped nerve damage in the neck and lumbar area; arthritis and peripheral nueropathy. This has caused difficulty in getting around and I am now living on pain medications.

Not sure if this has answered your question or not. Just wanted to share my experiences withs urgery.

It is always a great idea to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if necessary. Good luck